Public & Visitor FAQs
WHAT TIME DOES THE FAIR OPERATE?
- The Fair opens to the public at 10am and closes at 4pm (sharp!)
- Street Cleanup commences immediately at 5pm and Jackson St. re-opens to traffic at 6pm.
I'M COMING FROM OUT OF TOWN - HOW DO I GET TO PETONE?
Petone is on the northern shore of Wellington Harbour and can be reached by regular scheduled train and bus services. Visit METLINK for detailed information.
If you're coming from Horowhenua / Kapiti, a Coach Service may be available - click here for more information.
DOES THE USUAL (LOCAL) BUS SERVICE OPERATE OR IS THERE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE?
- The normal Bus timetable will run on the day of the Petone Rotary Fair.
- All buses will stop at the Petone Station End of Jackson Street AND the Cuba Street end of Jackson St. That is, all stops outside the Fair precinct will be operational.
- Please note that in the past Metlink have had a temporary bus stop in Adelaide Street - this stop WILL NOT be in place.
COMING BY CAR - CAN I PARK ANYWHERE I LIKE?
- PLEASE DO NOT park in the large eg. supermarket car parks NOR in areas designated for specific businesses. You will be towed!
COMING BY CAR - WHERE CAN I PARK?
- You are able to park in the "normal" legal on-street parking areas in the surrounding streets but please do not block driveways etc. The usual parking laws and times apply so please be aware.
- We have secured several large carparks which are free to use. Several worthy groups will "man" these parks and you are free to donate a gold-coin toward their cause. The parks are as follows:
- 1. Honiana Te Puni Park at the West end of Petone beach.
- 2. The Park & Ride area on the West side of Petone Station.
- 3. The Weltec car park on the corner of Britannia Street and Udy Street.
- 4. The Weltec O-Block car park on Petone Recreation Ground - entry from Buick Street.
IS THERE PARK & RIDE FROM THE CAR PARK AREAS?
- YES - A (gold coin donation) Double Decker bus will operate as follows:
- 1. It will pickup / drop off passengers at Honiana Te Puni Park at the west end of The Esplanade.
- 2. It will travel to Petone Railway Station stopping at the bus stop beside the pedestrian subway entrance just before the pedestrian crossing.
- 3. It will then proceed on to the Weltec carpark stopping on the corner of Udy and Bouverie Streets opposite the north-western entrance to Petone Recreation ground - Please take care crossing the road here.
- 4. The bus will then travel to Cuba Street stopping near the Cuba St. - Jackson Street intersection. Please take care crossing the road here as there will be altered traffic lights operating and this is a particularly busy section of road.
- 5. The bus will then return to Honiana Te Puni Park traveling along the esplanade.
WHAT TIME WILL THE DOUBLE DECKER BUSES OPERATE?
- The buses will operate from 9.30am with the last bus at 4.00pm. Someone will be on the bus to answer any questions.
- The bus will depart approximately every 15 minutes. You are free to hop on / off at any stop.
WHAT IS THE COST TO RIDE THIS BUS?
- If you feel in a generous mood, a gold coin donation (that will cover all the family) would go toward the group helping on the buses.
ARE MEDICAL FACILITIES AVAILABLE?
- ST JOHNS AMBULANCE are in attendance. They will be positioned on the junction of Jackson Street and Britannia Street.
IS THE FAIR FAMILY FRIENDLY?
- Yes - absolutely. Jackson Street, Petone including all streets and the beach front are covered by an alcohol ban. This means no drinking in public, other than on or within the boundaries of a licensed premises
- We work closely with the local Police. The Petone Rotary Fair is for all members of the community to enjoy.
CAN I BRING MY DOG(S)?
- We would not recommend you bring any pets to the Fair. Up to 35,000 people may visit during the day and it is not an ideal place for animals. It would be unfair to the animal if, through no fault of its own, it happened to "nip" a young child.
- Hutt City Council have a "NO GO" policy for special events such as the Hutt News Petone Rotary Fair. Refer Clause 8 a.2 of the HCC Dog Control Bylaw, 2005.
WHERE ARE PUBLIC CONVENIENCES LOCATED?
- Public Toilets are located on the Cnr of Jackson and Fitzherbert Streets, behind the Clock Tower (through the Doreen Doolan Mall) and on the Cnr of Buick and Jackson
- Temporary (Portaloo's) toilets will be located in Britannia and Tory Streets.
- There are numerous cafes, restaurants and bars along Jackson Street all of which have conveniences available for THEIR PATRON's use. Please respect this - if you are a patron then you can use it.
I LIVE IN JACKSON STREET HISTORIC SHOPPING PRECINCT - WILL MY CAR BE TOWED?
Yes, if your vehicle or your guests' vehicle are on the street the day of the fair. Residents of Jackson Street Fair area all receive notification well in advance of this event. The event and related parking requirements for Jackson Street are publicised weeks before the fair.
Towed vehicles will be moved to nearby streets. If you are unfortunately towed, follow up with the Rotary Office at Britannia and Jackson Street intersection.