Public & Visitor FAQs
WHAT TIME DOES THE FAIR OPERATE?
- The Fair opens to the public at 10am and closes at 4pm (sharp!)
- Street Cleanup commences immediately at 5pm and Jackson St. re-opens to traffic at 6pm.
I'M COMING FROM OUT OF TOWN - HOW DO I GET TO PETONE?
Petone is on the northern shore of Wellington Harbour and can be reached by regular scheduled train and bus services. Visit METLINK for detailed information.
If you're coming from Horowhenua / Kapiti, a Coach Service may be available - click here for more information.
DOES THE USUAL (LOCAL) BUS SERVICE OPERATE OR IS THERE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE?
- The normal Bus timetable will run on the day of the Petone Rotary Fair.
- All buses will stop at the Petone Station End of Jackson Street AND the Cuba Street end of Jackson St. That is, all stops outside the Fair precinct will be operational.
- Please note that in the past Metlink have had a temporary bus stop in Adelaide Street - this stop WILL NOT be in place.
COMING BY CAR - CAN I PARK ANYWHERE I LIKE?
- PLEASE DO NOT park in the large eg. supermarket car parks NOR in areas designated for specific businesses. You will be towed!
COMING BY CAR - WHERE CAN I PARK?
- You are able to park in the "normal" legal on-street parking areas in the surrounding streets but please do not block driveways etc. The usual parking laws and times apply so please be aware. If you are illegally parked you will be towed.
There are also several large car parks located reasonably close to the Fair as follows:
- 1. The Park & Ride area on the West side of Petone Station - a short walk to the Victoria St end of the Fair.
- 2. Thank you to Weltec for the use of their car park on the corner of Britannia Street and Udy Street. This park will be "manned" by a local group who will be using the opportunity as a fundraiser. The Double Decker Bus stops here.
- 3. Thank you to Mitre 10 MERGA Petone for allowing use of the large empty block on the corner of Bouverie St and Udy St. (directly opposite the parking area in 3. above) that will also be "manned" by a local group who will be using the opportunity as a fundraiser. The Double Decker Bus stop is just across the road.
IS THERE PARK & RIDE FROM THE CAR PARK AREAS?
A Double Decker bus will operate as follows - Gold Coin Donation (whether 1 person or a family):
- 1. Beginning from the Udy St. / Britannia St. car park the bus will travel west on Udy St. turning left onto the Hutt Rd.
- 2. It will then travel south, turning left into Jackson Street (opposite Petone Railway Station) and stop near the first bus stop in Jackson Street. It will proceed down Jackson St. toward the Fair, stopping at the Victoria Street intersection....the West end of the Fair.
- 3. It will then turn right traveling south along Victoria Street toward the wharf, and will turn left at the Esplanade.
- 4. There will be one stop along the Esplanade (yet to be confirmed.)
- 5. The bus wilI continue on, turning left into Cuba Street and will stop just after the Jackson St. / Cuba St. intersection near the East end of the Fair
- 6. The bus will continue north on Cuba St. and will turn left into Udy Street returning to the start point at the car park on the corner of Udy and Britannia Streets.
- 7. This circuit will be repeated.
WHAT TIME WILL THE DOUBLE DECKER BUSES OPERATE?
- The buses will operate from 9.30am with the last bus at 4.00pm. Someone will be on the bus to answer any questions.
- The bus will depart approximately every 15-20 minutes. You are free to hop on / off at any stop.
WHAT IS THE COST TO RIDE THIS BUS?
- If you feel in a generous mood, a gold coin donation (will cover all the family) would go toward the group helping on the buses.
ARE MEDICAL FACILITIES AVAILABLE?
- ST JOHNS AMBULANCE are in attendance. They will be positioned on the junction of Jackson Street and Britannia Street.
IS THE FAIR FAMILY FRIENDLY?
- Yes - absolutely. Jackson Street, Petone including all streets and the beach front are covered by an alcohol ban. This means no drinking in public, other than on or within the boundaries of a licensed premises
- We work closely with the local Police. The Petone Rotary Fair is for all members of the community to enjoy.
CAN I BRING MY DOG(S)?
- We would not recommend you bring any pets to the Fair. Up to 35,000 people may visit during the day and it is not an ideal place for animals. It would be unfair to the animal if, through no fault of its own, it happened to "nip" a young child.
- Hutt City Council have a "NO GO" policy for special events such as the Petone Rotary Fair. Refer Clause 8 a.2 of the HCC Dog Control Bylaw, 2005.
WHERE ARE PUBLIC CONVENIENCES LOCATED?
- Public Toilets are located on the Cnr of Jackson and Fitzherbert Streets, behind the Clock Tower (through the Doreen Doolan Mall) and on the Cnr of Buick and Jackson
- Temporary (Portaloo's) toilets will be located in Britannia and Tory Streets.
- Please DO NOT use the conveniences in numerous cafes, restaurants and bars along Jackson Street. These are for THEIR PATRON's exclusive use. Please respect this - if you are a patron then you can use it.
I LIVE IN JACKSON STREET HISTORIC SHOPPING PRECINCT - WILL MY CAR BE TOWED?
Yes, if your vehicle or your guests' vehicle are on the street the day of the fair. Residents of Jackson Street Fair area all receive notification well in advance of this event. The event and related parking requirements for Jackson Street are publicised weeks before the fair.
Towed vehicles will be moved to nearby streets. If you are unfortunately towed, follow up with the Rotary Office at Britannia and Jackson Street intersection.