WHAT TIME DOES THE FAIR OPERATE?
- The Fair opens to the public at 10am and closes at 4pm (sharp!)
- Street Cleanup commences immediately at 5pm and Jackson St. re-opens to traffic at 6pm.
I'M COMING FROM OUT OF TOWN - HOW DO I GET TO PETONE?
Petone is on the northern shore of Wellington Harbour and can be reached by regular scheduled train and bus services. Visit METLINK for detailed information.
DOES THE USUAL (LOCAL) BUS SERVICE OPERATE OR IS THERE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE?
- The normal Bus timetable will run on the day of the Petone Rotary Fair.
- All buses will stop at the Petone Station End of Jackson Street AND the Cuba Street end of Jackson St. That is, all stops outside the Fair precinct will be operational.
- Please note that in the past Metlink have had a temporary bus stop in Adelaide Street - this stop WILL NOT be in place.
COMING BY CAR - CAN I PARK ANYWHERE I LIKE?
- PLEASE DO NOT park in the large eg. supermarket car parks NOR in areas designated for specific businesses. You will be towed!
COMING BY CAR - WHERE CAN I PARK?
- You are able to park in the "normal" legal on-street parking areas in the surrounding streets but please do not block driveways etc. The usual parking laws and times apply so please be aware. If you are illegally parked you will be towed.
- Several local schools take advantage of the day by offering car-parking in their grounds - Sacred Heart and Petone Central (both located in Britannia Street)
There are also several large car parks located within easy walking distance of the Fair as follows:
- 1. The Park & Ride area on the West side of Petone Station - a short walk to the Victoria St end of the Fair.
- 2. Thank you to Weltec for the use of their car park on the corner of Britannia Street and Udy Street. This park will be "manned" by a local group who will be using the opportunity as a fundraiser.
IS "DISABLED PARKING" AVAILABLE
A huge thank you to the residents of Buick Street for working with us to provide Disabled Parking in their street. Entry into Buick Street is either off the Esplanade or from Adelaide Street - please approach the Fire Police who will be marshalling in this area and they will guide you to a suitable parking space.
ARE RETAIL SHOPS OPEN
Most Jackson Street retail shops, restaurants, cafes and bars are open on Fair Day. Many will be offering specials so please make sure you visit them too.
ATM's & MONEY
A few of our stall holders have EFTPOS facilities however it would be wise to make sure you have plenty of cash otherwise you may need to queue at one of the limited number of ATM's.
ARE MEDICAL FACILITIES AVAILABLE?
- ST JOHNS AMBULANCE are in attendance. They will be positioned on the junction of Jackson Street and Britannia Street.
IS THE FAIR FAMILY FRIENDLY?
- Yes - absolutely. Jackson Street, Petone including all streets and the beach front are covered by an alcohol ban. This means no drinking in public, other than on or within the boundaries of a licensed premises
- We work closely with the local Police. The Petone Rotary Fair is for all members of the community to enjoy.
CAN I BRING MY DOG(S)?
- We would NOT recommend you bring any pets to the Fair - Please leave your dog at home. Up to 35,000 people of all ages may visit during the day and while it is nice for you to have your beautiful pet with you, please, this is not the place to do it.
- It is not an ideal place for animals. It would be unfair to the animal if, through no fault of its own, it happened to "nip" a young child which at worst, could result in the dog having to be put down.
- Several stall holders have complained about dogs marking their territory on gazebos and the goods they are selling in spite of the best efforts of pet owners to control them. Please leave your pet at home.
WHERE ARE PUBLIC CONVENIENCES LOCATED?
- Public Toilets are located on the Cnr of Jackson and Fitzherbert Streets, behind the Clock Tower (through the Doreen Doolan Mall) and on the Cnr of Buick and Jackson
- Temporary (Portaloo's) toilets will be located in Britannia and Tory Streets.
- Please DO NOT use the conveniences in numerous cafes, restaurants and bars along Jackson Street. These are for THEIR PATRON's exclusive use. Please respect this - if you are a patron then you can use it.
LOST & FOUND
The Rotary Information Desk for the Fair is located at the junction of Britannia and Jackson Street.
I LIVE IN JACKSON STREET HISTORIC SHOPPING PRECINCT - WILL MY CAR BE TOWED?
Yes, if your vehicle or your guests' vehicle are on the street the day of the fair. Residents of the Jackson Street Fair area all receive notification well in advance of the event. The event and related parking requirements for Jackson Street are publicised weeks before the fair.
Towed vehicles will be moved to nearby streets. If you are unfortunately towed, follow up with the Rotary Office at Britannia and Jackson Street intersection.